Dr. Scott M Barao
Professor & Extension Specialist, Beef Cattle Management & Sheep Programs
Animal & Avian Sciences
PLEASE NOTE: Dr. Barao is no longer affiliated with the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Please address any questions or concerns to the appropriate section listed above.
- Provide statewide leadership and direction to beef cattle (95%) and sheep (5%) Extension education efforts.
- Work closely with other campus-based faculty, county-based Extension faculty, Ag. producers and allied industry groups to identify the short and long-term education and information needs of a diverse group of clientele.
- Coordinate, develop and deliver innovative Extension education programs statewide to address identified needs including printed/written educational support materials.
- Build alliances and partnerships with appropriate individuals, groups and organizations to enhance the efficiency, effectiveness and relevance of Extension education efforts.
- Beef Program Leader - Direct and administer all beef research and education activities utilizing the University beef herd located at the Wye Research and Education Center. Responsibilities include all budgetary, operational and programmatic aspects of the beef unit.
- Facilitate dialogue between end-users (producers) and research faculty as to the research and information needs of livestock producers in Maryland.
- Conduct applied/field research or demonstration trials as needed to enhance Extension education efforts, facilitate the transfer of knowledge to the end user and improve the rate of adoption of available technologies.
Area of Expertise:
Beef Cattle, Sheep, Agriculture & Nutrition
Learn more about Dr. Barao at http://ansc.umd.edu/faculty/sbmain.htm